Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Emergency Room Greeting


What should the E.R. nurse or the person working behind that counter say when a new patient enters into the Emergency Room? I will let that soak a bit while I tell you why this question has entered into my life...
Lately my little girl Callie has become quite the little explorer. With her new found gift of crawling, she enjoys following the family around the house and being apart of the action. Perhaps things were a little boring for her taste this past Thursday, when she decided that she no longer wanted to make waffles in the kitchen with Amy, rather she wanted to go play and/or explore in the basement. Normally, this would be okay for our little 8 month old, but Amy usually carries her down the 12 steep steps to the basement. Yes, she fell, or rolled... bumped, banged, and twisted her little body all the way down the stairs. Amy was the only one who had to suffer in hearing our little girl make her way down the stairs. As she ran to her rescue, one can only imagine the terror that creeps into your mind of the possibilities of such an accident. Other than some bumps and abrasions on her head, some red marks on her body, and a terrified little girl and mom, she (from what mom could tell) was okay... Praise God! After getting Callie calmed down, talking to the pediatrician was the next step. The doctor recommended that we take Callie to get a CT scan taken just for precautionary reasons.
This is where I come in. I am driving to the Emergency room and what do you know... no parking! Immediately, I think of popular comedian Brian Regan click here to laugh. Anyway, (if you came back from watching Brian) I drive another block away to another parking lot, across the street and down a ways to park my van. I put the kids in the stroller, since I now have to walk a country mile to get to the emergency room. As I enter into the emergency room, I scan to figure our where to go and I am greeted in a very cheerful and happy voice, "Hello and welcome to Riverside Hospital!" I wasn't sure if I wanted to be welcomed, but that was my first impression. Perhaps its a good thing. I was having a good time brainstorming with Nick all of the possible greetings... none of them very realistic, but still fun to think about. I guess welcoming me was okay.
Our Hospital stay was pretty good. They got us right in, we did the normal waiting around, but nothing too extreme. Callie was a champ! The CT Scan was the worst part. They had to strap little Callie down with a straight jacket made mostly of velcro (insert high pitch crying here) then to make sure that she didn't move her head they had me with one hand grip her jaw (insert higher pitch cry here) as the scan was happening, I continued to tighten down my grip tighter and tighter to make sure we didn't have to do this again. During the scan there was a point when the operator said, "this is the most important part, make sure she doesn't move!" My poor little girl was just traumatized by falling down the stairs and now more trauma as her daddy is squeezing the juices out of her head (intense extreme crying here). Finally, done!
Nothing is more precious than holding your girl as she calms down and sniffs and snorts on your shoulder knowing that that the worst of it is over. Now we just pray that the scan comes out... negative... positive... ahhhh! Seriously, they need to come up with better words to describe to parents the outcome of life changing or altering diagnosis. When the doctor says that the CT scan was "negative," you are thinking "brain damage." When actually the doctors means it was "positive" meaning ... its all good, you can go home now! I think I had a small little stroke or heart attack, as my heart jumped and stomached dropped when the doctor told me that the scan was "negative." As I was bracing for more bad news, I took in the non verbal clues and dispositions of the doctor and realized that "by negative" she actually saying that it was positive and my blood pressure began to lower. Praise God!
Callie is fine, mom is fine, dad is getting better, and Owen was given some cookies at the hospital and so of course he is fine!

1 comment: