Saturday, October 8, 2011

Inspired


Right when the trip across the country could not have been more boring, I run into this man. Prior to my meeting him my grandfather and I had been riding in the cab of a very bumpy, uncomfortable, loud, Uhaul for the last 12 hours. The last couple hours were spent traversing the Salt Flats of Utah at a top speed of about 55 mph. My back and hips were sore, I was tired, and then I was humbled. It was my curiosity that led me to this man. Mind you, we are literally in the middle of no where. Flat, hot, desolate desert of Utah. As I was heading to the bathroom at the rest area, I got a glimpse of a bike wheel. "Huh, that's strange, why would someone have a bike out here??" So I investigate. Leaning up against the back wall of the rest stop was this inspiring- dehydrated- sun burned person. I was amazed, I was intrigued, I felt guilty for being tired, and I had so many questions. My mind raced, I can't believe this guy is alive... I can't believe that you're allowed to ride your bicycle on Interstate 80. Isn't that against the law. Where do I start. My first question... Where did you start your ride? "Portland..." he quietly answered. Whoa, how long you been riding? "I couldn't tell you exactly." Are you riding for a cause, what's your motivation? "My motivation," he answered... "to get as far away from my wife as possible!" Whoa, that's not what I was expecting, I thought. He continued... "She took my house, my truck, my money... she left me with nothing. So I stole my bike from her, got on it and decided that I would get as far away from her as possible... after riding all day I stopped, slept on the side of the road, and then kept going the next day... I haven't stopped since." I was so impressed! I had so many questions, but I could tell he wasn't really interested in making small talk. I reached for my wallet and gave him a few bucks and wished him luck on his journey. He then said, "yeah I think I'm gonna call it a night... I'm gonna try to make it to Salt Lake tomorrow. I'll take the next day off and then keep going! I appreciate the help, he said, my wheels are missing about 7 spokes and my tires are going bald. I am hoping to find another bike at a garage sale or something when I get to town. " I was in shock! I didn't know what to say. I wanted to give him a ride, I wanted to give him my bike that was sitting just inside the Uhaul, I wanted to give him a bottle of water, I wanted to find him some aloe... I wanted to do something, but all I gave him was a few dollars. I slowly walked back to the truck thinking and pondering and doing nothing else. My reaction from that day still haunts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment